Thursday, August 30, 2007

Fenske: A lifetime of ad lessons in 3 hours, plus Van Halen.


So in the first day with the Mark Fenske, I learned everything I needed to know about advertising, however I couldn't write that fast, so I guess I'll listen closely next time.

Everyone was nervous about this one. He came in like the most polite celebrity you've ever met. Intimidating and completely at ease in his surroundings he started. However after the first half hour it was clear it would not be as bad as I thought, again.

He is definitely the real deal in advertising, he told us stories that not many have heard. I know know where the tagline "Just do it." comes from. If you don't google Gary Gilmore. I'm not kidding. I won't give it away but trust me, thats where it comes from.

But everyone knows that he is advertising in alot of circles. What I came away from it was that he is probably a great person to sit and listen to about his stories, sans advertising. He just seems like the kind of guy who is always smack in the middle of stories. And I guess knowing Van Halen helps when you're telling "I should have been there stories."

His style seems to be: Simple and "Where's the news?" Or more simply what has the ten seconds you've taken to talk given me? A little harsh but true in the industry, and if you can get by that you're there, except talent, experience, computer skills, concepting, story-boarding, and networking skills.

Shit.

I guess I've got bigger things to worry about until next Fenske class.

No comments: